Thank you for your interest in volunteering with Velvet Acres Animal Rescue! Below you will find all kinds of information regarding volunteering in general, as well as specific to our rescue.
How to Volunteer
We are always looking for hard-working, animal lovers to help us improve the lives of homeless pets at our facility and in the area! The first step to volunteering with us is to fill out an application. Before doing so, please read through our volunteer policies.
- You must be 18 or older to volunteer with the dogs in our program.
- You must be 16 or older to volunteer with the cats and small animals in our program.
- Youth under 16 may still volunteer with us but require a parent or guardian with them at all times (including orientation, any trainings, and during volunteer shifts).
- Each parent or guardian may only supervise two youth volunteers at a time, groups of three or more youth require multiple parents or guardians to be present.
- Training classes may be required for certain volunteering opportunities. (Any volunteer positions dealing directly with the animals DO require training. Please see below for opportunities that do not involve direct contact with the animals.)
- Closed toed shoes are required for ALL volunteers during shifts with VAAR. (With the exception of Event Crew Volunteers and Transport Volunteers.)
- Shifts are scheduled in advance. Each area has a maximum number of volunteers it can accommodate at one time so walk-in volunteers may not be able to engage in the activity they desire, if there is volunteer space available at all.
Ready to get started? Complete the volunteer application